Travel Insights: Experiences

August 6, 2021  |  Victoria Simmons

Travel & Tourism

As travel has begun resurging, consumers are seeking unique and engaging, yet safe, experiences for their next trips. The unknowns of the delta variant have caused some travelers to decrease confidence (44% of travelers have postponed or canceled due to delta), while others eagerly plan travel experiences (68% expresses being excited to travel right now). This is an area to keep an eye on as the situation evolves. – Destination Analysts

1. Unique Stays

Travelers look to create out of the box experiences starting with the lodging itself. Vacationers seek glamping sites, unique homes, and novel hotel rooms to ensure their stay is unforgettable.  

2. Spontaneous Encounters

Surprise elements add wonder, excitement and allure to conventionally planned experiences. As people return to travel, they are craving spontaneity in their vacation experiences.  

3. Travel & Tech

Leading-edge technology continues to drive compelling new experiences that blur online and offline worlds. Travelers utilize technology before, during, and after their trips as digital tools that empower and enhance travel.  

4. Sense(ability)

Attention to basic human senses is emerging as a newly nuanced focus in the battle for consumer attention. Travelers seek elevated sensory experiences as a key part of their trips.  

5. Inner Space

The opportunity to reconnect with our inner selves becomes increasingly valued by consumers who feel overstimulated by the world around them. Travel has become a means of deeper escape and experience of self-reflection.  

Download Report


is Senior VP, Travel at BVK

Get updates from The Current

Which topics interest you?

Public Service
Travel & Tourism
Recreation & Lifestyle
Consumer & Retail
Financial Services
Thinking Big

More from The Current

November 23, 2021

Travel Insights: Holiday Travel

After nearly two years of paused travel plans and cancelled get-togethers, Americans are eager to venture out this holiday se...

October 26, 2021

Travel Insights: Hispanic Traveler Audience

The Hispanic population is one of the fastest growing audiences in the United States, growing at 23% since 2010, and currentl...

September 21, 2021

Travel Insights: Unwinders vs. Adventurers

Most travelers (60%) want to spend their vacation relaxing and unwinding, while the remaining 40% prefer to seek adventure an...

August 6, 2021

Travel Insights: Experiences

As travel has begun resurging, consumers are seeking unique and engaging, yet safe, experiences for their next trips. The unk...

July 12, 2021

Travel Insights: Exclusivity in Travel

As some restrictions ease up, new red ropes of exclusivity are put in place in the travel industry alongside travelers’ inc...

June 2, 2021

Travel Insights: Travel Motivations by Generation

BVK breaks down how travel behavior differs by generational cohort. Lifestyle and cultural norms play a large role in how con...

April 1, 2021

Travel Insights: Finding Purpose in Travel

Coming out of times of adversity many people are seeking goodness and craving a deeper sense of meaning in their lives and...

March 12, 2021

Travel Insights: Craving Human Connections

As the vaccine rollout continues, consumers are feeling much more optimistic about their summer travel plans. Savvy travel br...

January 27, 2021

Setting the Stage for a Shift in Higher Ed Donor Behaviors

With positive news regarding a vaccine action plan, a rallying stock market and donors who are starting to see the light at t...